Lockdown Relief Fund
This is an initiative taken by the Platinum MMA at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, where we have created a means to provide essential supplies to anyone who has found themselves in dire need of assistance as a result of the Corona virus lock-down. Our target end-users are Moths and other ex-servicemen, elderly, children, and handicapped persons. We supply to cottage schemes, households and individuals alike, and we have embarked on this endeavour through the implementation of the following two processes:
- We have secured food and grocery donations from a number of Spar, Boxer, Food Zone, and PicknPay outlets. These are collected on a regular basis and stored at our facility in Honeydew. These supplies are of a wide range of foodstuff and groceries from long-lasting non-perishables to fresh produce. These are sorted and repacked where possible and made ready for distribution to those in need.
- Our Provincial Treasurer has set up an account in Smartedge where we are able to record financial donations from anyone wanting to assist through a direct deposit into the MMA account. This account is used to purchase and supply food parcels from wholesalers on request as when the funds allow.
We have prepared all relevant Lock-down documentation to provide anyone who is collecting or delivering for us, and this is arranged as required. In this regard, we have already made a substantial number of deliveries to date in Gauteng and attached are a few sample photos taken at recent drop-offs. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to make contact with any of the MMA members listed on this site
- Good afternoon Moth Kevin. On behalf of the Savannah Shellhole Executive and members I would like to thank you and the MMA for assisting our member Moth Colin. It must be made known to all how much help and assistance the MMA give. A simple phone call was all that was needed to get Moth Colin some help. Let it be spread far and wide that the MMA are truly the unsung heroes of the MOTH. Thanks again, yours in True Comradeship, Moth Bruce.
- Afternoon all, thanks to the MMA for the Mutual Help much appreciated, Robin.
- Mags, you just don’t give up on helping others. You are an inspiration. A sincere thank you. Craig.
- Evening All. Thanks to Jacques today for providing and delivering food to some very needy individuals on his own and in his personal capacity – true helping hand. MMA Exec.
- Hi Kev. Thank you, Wessie was in touch with me and have identified some folk who could benefit from your MMA members kindness. Great initiative. Thank you for your assistance, it is much appreciated. Kind regards, Kevin. East Rand District.
- My dear friend, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for the parcel you guys send. It is greatly appreciated. We had the mouse for dessert today and some of the veggies for lunch. I made a smoothly with some of the fruit and yogurt. And a banana bread. I am really grateful for all you and the MMA do for us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Name withheld by request.
- A huge big thank you goes out to Cosy Corner Shellhole and MMA Platinum for the food they supplied to TS Springs. With these wonderful donations many of the families of the Sea Cadets were fed. Many of these families have not received anything from the government. Lt Cmdr Chris Hand, OC of TS Springs thanks you all. Well done MMA Platinum and Cosy Corner SH. Moth Thinus Prinsloo, Pretoria District Old Bill
- Morning Moth Kevin. During these difficult times it is often very hard to find assistance and sometimes even more difficult to ask for it. I am personally very grateful to you and the MMA for the assistance you have given out to a Brother Moth in need and would again for the second time express the Shellholes appreciation for your assistance. I have said it to both yourself and Moth Wessie that the MMA must receive the highest accolades for what they are presently doing. Best wishes, Yours in True Comradeship, Bruce Green, Savannah Shellhole Adjutant.
- Hi Wessie. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have no words to tell you how much I appreciate all you have done for my family and I. May our Heavenly Father bless you abundantly. With sincere appreciation. Cheryl X x
- Thanks a million from the residents of MOTH Cottesloe Homes for this much needed food. Living on a SASSA pension is no joke
- Just wanna say thanks to you, the MOTHS and all who assisted, 🙏👍
- Thanks very much we appreciate you and your wife for all your hard work I know you two are the core of this God bless both of you
- Hi Kevin. Just to let you know I received the food parcel from Mark this morning and have delivered it to Willie and Faith. They are very thankful for the parcel. Thank you so much for the assistance with them. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. Love to Mrs G. Keep safe and warm. Regards Lesley.
- Dankie aan Kevin en Ms G vir die hulp met die kospakkies ons kon mense help om kos op hul tafel te sit dankie aan Johan en Venessa wat my afgestaan het om dit moontlik te maak om dit te gaan afhaal en te kom aflewer.
- Hi Wessie. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have no words to tell you how much I appreciate all you have done for my family and I. May our Heavenly Father bless you abundantly. With sincere appreciation. Cheryl X
- Hi Wessie, Oh my gosh I can’t thank you enough for all the food. We were gobsmacked at how much you have given us and so many luxuries 😁😁😁. Levi is so excited to have Coco Pops. Seeing the delight on his face was so precious. Thank you, thank you, thank you. May you all be abundantly blessed. Thank you so so much 💕💋💗🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
- WARRIOR Shellhole Newsletter June 2020 (Click here to read)
Barberton Parade 7th February 2020
The MMA Platinum attended the Pro-Patria Parade in Barberton, once gain facing wet weather both on the road as well as the parade ground. A scenic ride to the Lowveld and back made special by the hospitality of the Lone Tree Shellhole and Lowveld/Mpumalanga Moths.
South Eastern Transvaal Run 19th January 2020
This was one of those memorable runs which we will definitely do again, perhaps mostly due to the heavy rain we had to negotiate for the most part of the run. The countryside was spectacular and the MOTH hospitality along the way was outstanding. We visited 5 Shellholes along the way, rode almost 900km, and enjoyed excellent camaraderie in true MOTH style.
Year end function 16th November 2019
The 2019 annual year-end function took place at the Provincial Chairman’s house. The garden lunch was well attended and celebrated an early Christmas as well as the gathering of fellow MMA members. Thanks to organisers Mrs G, Petru and Mark Joubert, and of course the “Cook” for the day JJ, the party was a huge success.
KZN Run 19th October 2019
This run was well attended and included a combined meeting of the S. Kzn, Kzn, and Platinum executives as well as a general meeting between the 3 chapters.
Pretoria Breakfast Run 29th September 2019
Stofskop Flat Track Racing 07th September 2019
Rotary Vulture Feeding Project 24th August 2019
NYOKA RIDGE CAPE VULTURE PROJECT
Rotary Brits has embarked on the construction of a state of art endangered Cape Vulture feeding\monitoring facility:
Vulture populations face many man-made hazards that include a diminishing food source, electrocution on electricity pylons, drowning and ingesting poisons. Vultures are all now highly endangered in Africa. The value of vulture restaurants have been well articulated over the years and include allowing for the monitoring of vulture populations, assisting the population by providing a regular source of safe food, a source of calcium (bone-chips) for bone development in growing chicks, a venue for research, education and awareness. The Rotary Brits Vulture Project commenced in 2011 with the construction of a pond, followed by installation of a water tank, trees for perching, and the construction of a viewing facility in September 2011. Since then, a custom-built trailer to transport Vulture food was delivered in December 2013, trap cameras were purchased, and the final phase construction of a hide including ablution facility and walkway are currently in progress. The aim is to provide close-up viewing of birds by visitors.
Following the MOTH Motorcycle Association involvement earlier in the year in assisting with marshalling the Rotary Club Brits classic car meander around Harties, the MMA were privileged to be invited to the Vulture hide to witness first-hand the feeding of the local population of Cape Vultures. We were treated to a sumptuous breakfast and an extremely enlightening talk on the behaviour of the vultures in the area. Our gratitude goes out to Rotary Club Brits for hosting the morning ride.