Province:Southern Kwazulu Natal Provincial Dugout
HISTORY OF CINDER CITY SHELLHOLE:
Cinder City Shellhole was charted on the 19TH of March 1946. The Name Cinder City was derived from the 1ST World War staging camp on the outskirts of a town called Rouen in France to which newly arrived South African troops were sent before moving up the Front. When the rains came, the streets between the rows of tents became a Quagmire(Mudpool), to overcome the problem ashes and cinders from the local railway yard were thickly spread over the mud to consolidate the surface – hence “Cinder City”
The Shellhole was established by 12 Founder members whose names are mentioned on our Roll Of Honour Board. Meetings were held in the old Sea Park town hall where weekly films were shown to generate funds for the building of the Shellhole building. The ground on which the Shellhole is located was generously donated by Moth Archie Sinclair. He answered The Sunset Call on the 28TH of February 1959. We salute him. Late Moth Bert Mellors and his wife, late Moth Jack Liddle of Rough But Ready Shellhole and non-Moth’s Arthur, Jimmy and Ann Edwards plus wives of the Cinder City Shellhole members at the time were the main driving force and contributors to the building of the Shellhole.
Through sure dedication and team spirit the hall was finally completed in 1965.We salute and thank all those Moth’s, ladies and friends for their efforts. They show the true meaning of True Comradeship, Mutual Help and Sound Memory.
NEWS & EVENTS
Presentation from R1 to their Twin Shellhole Cinder City – 19 June 2022.